Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: OT - How can you get a NY accent?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the tips. I think they will be very useful. If he can just get a few NY accented words in, it will be OK. They will work with the students to get it right over the next few months. The auditions will mainly be singing, but he was told that having a bit of a NY accent would help for some of the line reading.

    We are so far removed from NY here, so every little bit helps. I think Guys And Dolls will be a fun production. I wish I could watch the auditions. Now wouldn't my 16 year old son hate that? LOL! [img]eek.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member mandasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2003
    Posts
    326
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Judi-is he going out for a specific part? My son played Big Jule (it was pronounced like Julie) in our high school production of G&D. His character was supposto be visiting from East Ciscero, IL, and they had him pronounce Illinois ill-a-noize. As someone born and raised in IL, I never heard anyone pronounce our state with the final s sound. Adam can't sing, but at 6'7", he was perfect for the part, and luckily that character didn't have any solos. He just sang with everyone else. I would have your son watch the Sinatra version to get an idea of the accents.

    It is a wonderful play, and it was so much fun seeing our kids in it. I really miss that, now that our two oldest have graduated. Hopefully, Nicki will also be interested in acting.

    I'll keep my fingers crossed for your son to get a fun part.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's so fun that your son was in it. DS is hoping to get Benny Streetwalker - a secondary character but with a good amount of lines. The director has the guys learn all 11 songs that the men sing so they are prepared to try out for any role she sees fit for them.

    He watched the Sinatra/Brando DVD several times. Auditions are tomorrow! He has his costume all ready. I got him a cool brown bolero 1940s style hat from e-Bay, a brown suit from Goodwill ($9.99!), an art deco tie and wing tips from DH's closet. They have to audition in costume. I will let you know how it turns out.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member only1genevieve's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are they specifically asking for an accent? In my experience auditioning for musicals, I've done better doing it accent-less. If I were your son, I would give the director the option of hearing it with or without an accent. The director will likely want to hear him sing it once through without an accent and then a short sample with the accent. I auditioned for Little Shop of Horror's with Adeleide's Lament and wound up shooting myself in the foot by doing the accent because the director, as it turned out, didn't want Audrey to have an accent and he also didn't want to hold call backs so I never got a chance to "show my stuff" with a normal voice.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They asked for an accent for the lines - not the music.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member only1genevieve's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, cool! Then everyone's suggestions sound like good ones [img]smile.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member jrtmom3274's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2004
    Posts
    800
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My first thoughts were Tony Danza, Matt LeBlanc (Joey on Friends) and John Travolta in the 70s & early 80s. For good female examples, there are tons and tons of comediennes who would fit the bill. Michelle on the recent episodes of Last Comic Standing has a really great accent. The best sit-com I can think of to watch is King of Queens.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member bigtree8's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2004
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Saturday Night Fever has good Brooklyn (Bensonhurst accent)!

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Dancing_Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2006
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ironically Tony Danza does have a real Brooklyn accent. He sounds just like some of my family. He was born in Brooklyn I believe. I am not too fond of him though! lol

    Someone mentioned my second favorite movie
    NEWSIES!!!! Yes I love that move only second to Titanic, but it had so much fake accents it was funny! Racetrack Higgins was pretty accurate but then again he was from NY.

    I never thought I had an accent until I went on Vacation to Florida. LOL

    Umm
    We dont say water and drawl out the a like some states. we say watuh. haha

    umm in NY you dont pronounce every letter of the word.

    There is no "Y'all" sometimes there is a "Yous Guys" I say that a lot [img]redface.gif[/img] lol

    HTH

  10. #20
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Dancing_Queen:
    I never thought I had an accent until I went on Vacation to Florida. LOL

    Umm
    We dont say water and drawl out the a like some states. we say watuh. haha

    umm in NY you dont pronounce every letter of the word.

    There is no "Y'all" sometimes there is a "Yous Guys" I say that a lot [img]redface.gif[/img] lol

    HTH
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Isn't that funny about accents? You don't think you have one until someone else points it out. Sometimes, I have placed phone orders and the customer service rep will know that I am from Wisconsin. Apparently, people in Wisconsin pronounce "Wisconsin" differently. [img]confused.gif[/img]

    I am going to have to check out the Newsie movie.

    I like the "Yous guys." That is too funny. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    I always enjoy hearing people with accents. My favorite accents are ones from England. We have a family from London as neighbors for a few years while they are on transfer for their jobs. I could listen to that English accent forever.

    Auditions are over. DS was very pleased with his performance and is now sleeping on the couch. I don't think he got much sleep last night, and we had to be up at 6 AM. He will find out tommorrow if he gets a bigger part or will be in the chorus. He thought watching the Frank Sinatra/Marlon Brando DVD helped him with the accent and acting. If he gets a speaking role, he will have to keep working on his accent so I really appreciate all your tips. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •